First Protocol-Agnostic, Multi-Fabric Interconnect Technology for Intel Embedded Computing Product Line
- Protocol Offload Engine Technology - POET
- At its highest level, POET implements a collection of standard interfaces to create a bridge between processors and switch fabrics
- Initially POET will support both Serial RapidIO (sRIO), the overwhelmingly preferred switch fabric for the defense industry and 10 Gigabit Ethernet, the most common commercial fabric
- By offloading and accelerating standard protocols, POET simultaneously facilitates high bandwidth and low latency operation giving 10 Gigabit Ethernet the guaranteed, deterministic delivery of Serial RapidIO
- POET can improve Size, Weight and Power (SWaP) constraints in subsystems by providing local switching in the FPGA between multiple fabric ports to create distributed mesh networks, thereby eliminating the need for a centralized switch fabric card
- In future releases POET will support next generation switch fabrics such as 40 Gigabit Ethernet and Infiniband as well as offload protocols such as RoCE (RDMA over Converged Ethernet), an Infiniband over Ethernet standard
- Through industry standard internal interfaces, customers can integrate their own downloadable firmware with POET to add value to their subsystems, or engage with Mercury's Services and Systems Integration group to obtain customization services.