WOLF Announces 3U VPX with NVIDIA Jetson AGX Xavier for Military and Aerospace
Stouffville, ON, May 14, 2019 – WOLF Advanced Technology (WOLF), is pleased to announce the VPX3U-XAVIER-APU (WOLF-12TP), a 3U VPX compliant solution that includes an NVIDIA Jetson AGX Xavier module and the WOLF FGX for use in military, aerospace and other extreme harsh environment applications.
“AGX Xavier is an amazing standalone compute engine with an efficient power envelope,” said Greg Maynard, CTO of WOLF. “Our customers and partners told us they really needed Xavier as a COTS 3U VPX module and lamented that it couldn’t be done, so we had our engineers design a rugged solution suitable for military and aerospace and we couldn’t be more pleased with the result!”
WOLF is hosting a 3U VPX NVIDIA Jetson AGX Xavier webinar on May 30, 2019, to provide additional details. Join Greg Maynard for a review of the design decisions, the initial product release features, as well as future roadmap plans. Please register for the webinar to attend.
3U VPX conduction cooled module
Early access units of the VPX3U-XAVIER-APU (WOLF-12TP) are available for order immediately with production slated for June 2019.
VPX3U-XAVIER-APU is especially suited for applications that require AI inferencing, machine vision, or GPGPU CUDA processing, with autonomous operation and a power draw of less than 50 watts, making it ideal for use for military and aerospace systems.
“The combination of 8K and 4K video, high-speed LAN, excellent SWaP, PCI Express with Non-Transparent Bridging, and single slot autonomous computing for AI and computer vision at the edge opens up numerous systems integration options for defense and aerospace,” added Maynard. “Including the WOLF FGX in the module also allows for expanded video format support, for example, SDI, CVBS, STANAG 3350, ARINC 818, and other video formats.”
The NVIDIA AGX platform provides breakthrough advancements in edge and autonomous computing, without the need for continued cloud connectivity. The AGX platform enables local visual odometry, sensor fusion, localization and mapping, obstacle detection, and path planning algorithms critical to next-generation autonomous platforms. Developers using this module can benefit from NVIDIA’s rich set of AI tools and workflows as well as the NVIDIA JetPack SDK.
Features of the NVIDIA Jetson AGX Xavier platform include:
- NVIDIA Volta GPU with 512 CUDA cores and 64 Tensor Cores, 1.37 GHz, 1.4 TFLOPS FP32, 22.6 DL TOPS Int8
- NVIDIA Carmel 8-core ARMv8.2 64-bit CPU, 2.26 GHz, 1.3 TFLOPS
- Two NVIDIA Deep Learning Accelerator (DLA) engines, 5.7 TFLOPS FP16, 11.4 TOPS Int8
- Up to 32 TOPS of deep learning inference computing using the GPU and Deep Learning Accelerator (DLA) engines
- Two NVIDIA Vision Accelerator engines, 1.7 CV TOPS Int8
- 16GB 256-bit LPDDR4, up to 137 GB/s
- Two NVENC / NVDEC hardware-based video codecs for H.264/H.265
- The VPX architecture is diverse, spanning custom backplanes, an ambiguous system specification and differing input / output methodologies. The 3U VPX WOLF-12TP module includes factory configuration options to solve many of these system integration challenges. This module has been designed to support VPX REDI (VITA 48) and OpenVPX (VITA 65). In addition, the WOLF-12TP includes a WOLF FXG to support additional video formats that are not native to the Xavier GPU. This also allows WOLF to react quickly to customer requirements for additional video formats.
WOLF Advanced Technology designs, develops and manufactures military-grade rugged modules for video capture, process, encode and display. WOLF’s rugged GPU-powered modules are also ideal for AI inference. WOLF solutions are designed to operate in harsh aerospace and defense environments without sacrificing any of the processing power available from the latest generation NVIDIA, AMD and Xilinx high-speed GPUs, APUs and FPGAs. WOLF’s products include rapidly available COTS solutions, feature-tailored MCOTS solutions, and full custom designs. WOLF supports a variety of board configurations, including 3U and 6U VPX, XMC and MXC/MXM.