German companies team for digitization of Germany's ground forces

MUNICH and DUESSELDORF, Germany. German defense-electronics companies Rheinmetall and Rohde & Schwarz have entered a partnership that aims at leading the digitization of Germany’s ground armed forces. The two enterprises established a joint venture to compete for two major German procurement projects: "MoTaKo," which stands for “mobile tactical communications,” and “MoTIV,” short for “mobile tactical information network.”

The companies say that the project's total order volume is likely to be in the "mid-ten-figure euro range," with thousands of so-called Bundeswehr (Federal Defense Forces of Germany) vehicles alone earmarked for retrofitting.

MoTaKo and MoTIV will form the yet-to-be-designed digital command-and-control system. Under the joint venture, Rheinmetall will be responsible for the command systems, cross-functional operator interface, and complete vehicle-integration process. For its part, Rohde & Schwarz will contribute its IP-based system solutions for secure communications.

Rheinmetall will own a 74.9 percent stake in the joint venture, with Rohde & Schwarz holding the remaining 25.1 percent. Additionally, the companies plan to draw on the expertise of other partners during individual phases of the project.

German ground forces image courtesy German Federal Defence (Bundeswehr).